New shocks!

Frames, suspension (except Air Poise which has its own forum), axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, steering, etc.

New shocks!

Postby groundhog180 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi All,
As much as I hate to remove original parts on a 28,000 mile car,the shocks were just about non-existent and these cars are already a soft ride. That and my wife enjoys putting 50 miles plus on the Special every Sunday by herself.

I went with modern gas shocks. The front are very easy to remove/replace. The rear involved removing the entire top bracket which is two pieces. It was impossible to get the bolt out otherwise. I put rear shocks on my Super long ago and don't recall having to do all that. I need to crawl under it and see if the small series is different from the big series? Either way the job is done and the car handles much tighter than before.

Lee G.

p.s. I didn't throw away the originals. Unthinkable.
groundhog180

Re: New shocks!

Postby daveh70 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:01 pm

What brand shocks did you use? I need new shocks all around on the special. Anyone have a brand recommendation? Should I go for the common Monroe brand you'd find at a Napa, or maybe Bilstien from Kanter? Thanks.
Dave Harris
1958 Buick Special Riviera 46R
daveh70

Re: New shocks!

Postby 58limited » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:14 am

I used to see rebuilt original shocks for sale on ebay: they cut into them and replaced seals, etc. But, no matter how I searched, I could never find a place online that provided this service.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Return to Chassis