Rear U-Joint & Torque ball stuff

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, and other items related to the powertrain, except transmissions. Transmissions can be discussed in the Transmissions forum.

Re: Rear U-Joint & Torque ball stuff

Postby RoadMaster75 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 am

Here's the final resolution on the torque tube / u-joint / driveshaft issues on my 58 Roadmaster:

SInce the forward splined section of the driveshaft would not slide out of the torque ball
I decided to access the rear u-joint by removing the rear axle assembly from the back of the short torque tube.
This was not as difficult as it may seem. ONce the springs and brake lines, etc are out of the way you can slide the
whole thing far enough back to slide it off the pinion splines.
ONce I did this I found the culprit...... the rear yoke section of the driveshaft had been destroyed by
the U-joint flopping around inside the tube. THis accounted for the terrible noises! Incredible that the car
still actually moved!

I replaced the entire inner shorty driveshaft, inclusive of a new drive shaft bearing. THen, I carefully mated the rear axle assembly back onto the
splined pinion section and bolted it all down.

I also replaced the tired old coil springs (Eaton Detroit Spring), shocks, and plumbed all new brake lines from the
X-member rearward. So far I've driven the car about 50 miles with no noises or issues.... incredibly, it even leaks "less" than
it did before at the torque ball. I liberally applied black RTV to the mating surfaces of the torque ball cover and torque ball flange
because I could not remove the shaft to replace the gaskets. All seems well!

One setback was that the rear radius bar that bolts to the bracket on the driver side of the axle housing
has two smallish bolts to hold it in place. Of course, they both broke off ; even after a month of soaking
with penetrating fluid. Had to remove the axle to get at the rear of the bracket and drill and tap new holes....not fun....

Moral of the story is ALWAYS GREASE THE REAR DRIVESHAFT VIA THE ACCESS PLUG AT THE REAR OF THE TORQUE TUBE.
if you hear noises back there.....GET AFTER IT BEFORE IT GETS CATASTROPHIC.

Hoping to enjoy happy motoring this summer now!
Mike
1958 Roadmaster75 - Unrestored w/ 40,000 orig. miles
1949 Willys-Overland Jeepster - Buick V6 power
1951 Chevrolet 1/2 ton Panel truck - 455 Stage One Buick power
1978 Cadillac Eldorado "Biarrtiz" - 22,500 orig. miles
RoadMaster75

Previous

Return to Engine and Drive Train