$500,000 bottle of beer.

The Lounge is the only area that non-1958 Buick topics can be discussed. All discussions must be kept civil and polite. Get to know your 1958 Buick neighbors who may otherwise have nothing in common with you. Political topics are not allowed.

$500,000 bottle of beer.

Postby 58limited » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:45 pm

This just sold on ebay for $503,300.00! Now, I like beer, but this is a bit much...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

"Until the 1850s Allsopp’s Brewery was most notable for brewing some of the first India Pale Ales for export to the colonies. However, Samuel Allsopp was approached about a different recipe; Sir Edward Belcher was about to led an arctic expedition (1852) to search for the lost explorer Sir John Franklin. The Expedition needed a brew that withstand arctic and sub arctic temperatures, and provide a degree of sustenance and nutritious value. “Captain Belcher reported that Allsopp's Arctic Ale proved to be "a valuable antiscorbutic", helping fight off scurvy, the bane of all sea voyages in those days.” He added that the beer was "a great blessing to us, particularly for our sick" and that it refused to freeze until the temperature dropped well below zero.” [beerpages.com]
What you are looking at is an actual museum quality sealed and intact bottle of Samuel Allsopp’s Arctic Ale brewed for the 1852 Expedition to the Arctic lead by Sir Edward Belcher. This bottle of beer is likely the rarest, oldest, and most documented bottle of beer in existence! Not to mention the unbelievably unique history surrounding it. Accompanying the bottle is an actual limited handwritten history about the bottle itself.

It reads as follows:

“This ale was specially brewed and bottled in England, in 1852, for Kane’s Expedition in search of Sir John Franklin. A portion of the lot was cached in the Arctic; and was afterwards taken back to England, where it was bought by Allsopp, from whom Mr. Jus. Fennell obtained a part.

This bottle was given to me by Mr. Fennell May 13, 1919. Should I depart from this (by that time probably) dry world before consuming the contents, let my son and brethren perform my duties and enjoy my rights in that respect, on the eve of my funeral (if they find it in time) – unless such act be then illegal, in which case those of the aforesaid trustees who sufficiently learned in law shall advise ac-????? To the rule of ey fares.

Two bottles of this ale were guests of honor at the banquet given to Shackleton and Peary, in Boston, some years ago. (1907/1908) The skeletons of said guests were preserved as mementos of Sir John Franklin! (Useful suggestion regarding the “cast off shell” of the spirit.)

Signed: Percy G Bolster
Research seems to point toward Percy Bolster being an attorney in the Boston area in the early 20th C. I am not sure who Kane is? that he is referring in the Expedition. Perhaps a financier or someone his friend Fennell told him of.

The handwritten note was laminated some time back. The bottle itself is in excellent condition, still full and wax sealed over cork. The fill line is possibly the original fill line for the bottle. The wax seal appears lightly chipped in one area. Please read the e-bay disclaimers concerning this auction* You are bidding on what most would consider the rarest bottle of beer in the world! This bottle’s history is amazing!

Think…two bottles were sent over for the celebration Peary and Shackleton’s North Pole expedition, in Boston, over 100 years ago, and those bottles were considered a RARE TREASURE at that time!!! Do your research this piece is nothing short of museum quality, also find it interesting that the world record price paid for a full corked bottle of wine was a Chateau Margaux 1789 that was part of Thomas Jefferson’s personal collection, LONDON Christies 1989 $265,000.

Although this bottle is not quit of that caliber, it is rather close, with age, condition, provenance, and history. Imagine it was rare enough 100 years ago to be something very special, something that would be opened for a successful 1st expedition to the North Pole.

So here is your chance, own the rarest bottle of beer in the world, make the Guinness Book of World Records, or do as you please. This is most certainly a once in a lifetime opportunity. A down payment is expected at auction end. The transaction can be closed in a number of conventional ways, if you have the money to purchase this item, you are well familiar with all of them. Standard auction terms and conditions govern this auction. Please do not waste my time with ridiculous comments or questions, serious buyers and inquiries only."

1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

WOW!

Postby RoadMaster75 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:31 pm

Great taste...or, less filling...?

I just bought a 30 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon for 1.99!

LOL

Regards
Mike
RoadMaster75

Re: $500,000 bottle of beer.

Postby hegana » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:32 am

OMG, that's awsome idea!
hegana

Return to The Lounge