Avatars Explained (and working, I hope)

Check here for the lastest information about this forum, its policies, rules, changes, backup schedule, features, etc

Avatars Explained (and working, I hope)

Postby 58limited » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:43 pm

OK, I think that I have this figured out. I've adjusted the settings and you should now be able to upload an avatar from your computer, upload from another URL, or link from a URL. I am also setting up a gallery that you can pick from. Here's an explanation I copied from a help forum:

So what's an 'avatar'?

OK, let's start with the basics. An avatar is the image that is displayed (if enabled and specified) below the user's name in topics, just below their rank. It also shows up when you view a members profile. Avatars are fun and also give an insight to people's personalities and interests.

So how do I display my avatar?

Click on 'Profile' (there's a link at the top of the forum page). You will now be able to edit your personal profile. Scroll down to the bottom. You'll come across a little something called 'Avatar control panel'. First of all you'll see the avatar you're currently using (if blank then you are not using an avatar). You can choose three different ways to show an avatar:

Remote avatars

This is the bit next to 'Link to off-site Avatar'. All you have to do is, as it says, 'Enter the URL of the location containing the avatar image you wish to link to.' Couldn't be easier.

Gallery avatars

Now we come across 'Select Avatar from gallery'. This is also amazingly easy to do. Just hop over to the gallery with the 'Show gallery' link, select the avatar you want and then click 'Select avatar'. Note that there may be different categories to browse in; so to change the category you're viewing just change the 'Select category' drop down list (near the top).

Uploading avatars

There's 2 different ways to do this now. Firstly, 'Upload Avatar from your machine'. To use this just click the 'Browse' button and you'll find yourself with a way to navigate around your computer and select the avatar you want. The other way, 'Upload Avatar from a URL' is simple enough. It's basically the same as the link to off-site avatar option exept this time instead of just linking to it, it copies the avatar file to the server and uses that copy.

Send me your pictures and I will add them to the avatar gallery.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Return to Forum Information and Rules