air bags?

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Buick for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about converting to an alternator, adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, air suspension, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing, chopping and other modifications can also be discussed here.

air bags?

Postby chuckIII » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Anyone here bagged thier car? I have a 58 Buick 4 door. Where can i get a kit and any tips with installing? will i have to c notch?
thanks
chuckIII

Re: air bags?

Postby 58sled » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:14 am

I have a bagged 58 buick. if youve ever bagged anything its pretty easy. it depends on how low you want to go. mine will lay frame on the ground but i have a custom rear suspension. no kit out there or really needed. FRONT: I removed the front springs, made the hole in the frame were the spring goes in a little bigger (the same diameter of a compressed bag) and mounted a cup on top of the bag. REAR: the rear can be easy. i did away with my dynaflo, torque tube and rearend. and replaced it with a 425 cid nailhead, a 700R4 trans and a ford rearend. by doing that i lost my rear trailering arms and had to buld a custom set up, but it works the same way the stock set up did. I did notch just above the rear end but only the thickness of the frame and mounted the bags just in front of the rearend and used an adjustable pan hard bar (the stock is not adjustable). your biggest problem is the drive shaft or torque tube. if you go low enough you will have to tunnel and i will actually cut my rear seat in half. sent me your email address and i will send you some pictures. also where are you located?

Gary
Gary

1958 Buick Special 2dr HT
425 Nailhead Power
58sled

Re: air bags?

Postby dschill » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Hey Gary, hows the project coming along? I would love to see some pics of the bag installation and bag specs. Thanks
dschill

Return to Modernizing and Customizing