lowering a 58 buick

This area is for those who need help modernizing their Buick for purposes other than strict restoration. Such questions can be about converting to an alternator, adding an electric fuel pump, adding fuel injection, air suspension, boosting horsepower or gas mileage, or tightening or lowering the suspension. Body customizing, chopping and other modifications can also be discussed here.

lowering a 58 buick

Postby scoot » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:23 am

Has anyone lowered their 58 ? If so, how? I would like to put drop spindles under my old girl, but no one sells them. I dont have the money to "Bag" it, but my experience with using lowered springs is your ride quality suffers big time.
Any Ideas?
Thanks, Scoot
scoot

Re: lowering a 58 buick

Postby 58sled » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:05 am

although I dont recommend it, you could cut or heat the springs. cutting is usually better start by cutting 1/2 coil at a time til you get the ride height your after. I have also heard of people bringing a spring to a parts store and searching for a shorter one but these cars are heavy and who knows what you would end up with.

just to rise and lower the car you could do an air bag setup for about $1000 and I'm sure it would ride better than the other options

Or the old lowrider trick sandbags in the trunk. Just joking
Gary

1958 Buick Special 2dr HT
425 Nailhead Power
58sled

Postby Resurrector » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:57 pm

I've been wondering this myself, I've had good luck cutting springs, but the problem is you can't cut the rear springs, since they narrow on either end. Never tried heating, I'd say bagging is way to go overall.
Resurrector

Postby dvonk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 am

ive seen nasty (dangerous) results from heated springs on other vehicles. i wouldnt chance it.
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Postby 58KustomBuick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 pm

A friend with a '59 Buick put some '56 buick coils on his car and it is 2 inch lower than stock right now.

John
58KustomBuick

Postby Mit Erhym » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:14 pm

You can order brand new replacement springs for the front and rear from either of these two companies, both made in the USA:

Jamsco @ http://jamcosuspension.com/home (they don't list the 58 coils, you have to call or email for a quote) and Eaton @ http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/. Jamsco will sell you 1", 2" or 3" drops while Eaton only offers 1" or 2" and is the more expensive of the two. Expect to drop $600 or so for new springs all the way around, plus new shocks. Safe, improves the ride while lowering and makes the car look awesome.
'58 Buick 2-door Super Riviera Model 56R
Nailhead Power!
Mit Erhym

Postby emanuel_v19 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Will they fit the super 88 oldsmobile? i am trying to lower my 58 olds.
emanuel_v19

Postby TP59buick » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Hey guys, I am new on here and cannot find where to do an introduction so I'll try now. I have a 59 Buick 2 dr hrdtop Lesabre that is a mild custom. It has a 425 with a turbo 400 s/p behind it. Some of the questions I have read I had to address when I converted my 59 over to open drive. I used a 3rd member from a 62 full size Buick and kept all my factory tracking bar. I installed a 4 link that I built before I removed the enclosed drive line. By doing it this way I kept the geometry true to what Buick had. To lower the car I removed my rear springs and went to wrecking yard to find a shorter spring with same "Pigtail" placement. I lowered the car a good 6". It rides just like it did when Buick built it. I also mounted my powerbooster on the firewall using a semi-universal 7" booster kit. I believe the 58 Buick will work the same way. I have always liked the 58 Buicks as a friend has one he is working on. I live north of Houston in the Spring area. I just finished painting the 59 a teal Blue/green with white Watson style scallops from head to toe. I will check in from time to time as I can. I work for a major pipeline company and work on the road 90% of the time. I tend to read the forums at night for entertainment. I was introduced to the 58 forum through the Buick-59 forum by a fellow member. I like what I hear and will try to help when possible. I am a retired welder but still in the pipeline business. I am having interior done in Pearl white pleats as we speak. It's been a long trip on the car working on it 1 maybe 2 times a month when I can. I hope this is satisfactory for an introduction ,if not someone point me in the direction I need to go. I am 62 years young and just now truly enjoying the cars as I can. Got both kids out of college and oweing no money, they both have jobs. It is now my turn. Please excuse all the misspelled words.
TP59buick

Return to Modernizing and Customizing