Petronics Ignition System

Wiring, power windows, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, autronic eye, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Petronics Ignition System

Postby 58limited » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:00 pm

I put a Petronics Ignitor System on my Limited several years ago. At first, it worked fine. But for the past few years I've noticed that the car just wasn't performing as good as it should. There were many factors here, namely the starter was getting weak and having trouble turning the motor over, especially when hot. I rebuilt that. The engine still would have to turn over several times before firing off, I thought the gas was evaporating from the carburetor when the car sat for a long time, so I installed an electric fuel pump that I can use to fill the carb if the car has been sitting. Still, the car got to where it would barely run. I rebuilt the carburetor and when I went to start the car yesterday, it would intermittantly fire, but never start. It started backfiring through the carb. After checking everything, I decided the Petronix system might have bit the dust. I replaced it with points and it fired right up - runs better than it has for years. Based on this, and other experiences, I would have to advise people to stay with points - they are basically bullet proof and are easily replaced or adjusted.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Re: Petronics Ignition System

Postby HotRod58er » Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 pm

I know that is why I havent converted the B-59 over to Electronic Ignition. The issue is that with points its harder for it to fire right at higher RPM.
Reverance for the past-ensures the future

Cars
1997 Buick Riviera (yes its supercharged)
1959 Buick LeSabre 4 door sedan (45,000 original miles)
HotRod58er

Postby groundhog180 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi Group,
I've had petronix in the Special for about ten years now. I use their coil also. The only real problem was about two seasons ago the yellow wire that connects to the resistor block got frayed because I hadn't used a wire connector. It caused backfiring that blew out the big plug on the bottom of the intake and dented the muffler on a trip.

I repaired the connection and all was back to normal. After removing the 2bbl intake I converted it to a 4bbl. The Rochester has been a huge improvement over the 2bbl Carter.

I also run a petronix on my 56 Olds with no problem,but still have points on the 58 Olds. I have had three old resistor blocks go bad on each car so keep a spare new one in the glove box.

Lee G.
groundhog180

Postby Smartin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Another one to look at is the Crane XR-i points conversion. It's a bolt-in deal. I've been using it on 2 of my cars for the last couple years, and seems bulletproof. But I am also a big fan of the good ol' points. The Crane setup is the only one I believe in to replace points. I've heard too many horror stories about Pertronix.
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Return to Electrical and Accessories