Buick lube?

Frames, suspension (except Air Poise which has its own forum), axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, steering, etc.

Buick lube?

Postby chadboyle2000 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi - It's been a while since I've logged on but thats due to the fact that I've been working on the Century pretty much non-stop. I was reading the chassis manual about diag. of the power booster system. I belive I need to lube the booster via the access hole on top of the booster - but according to the manual you need to use "Buick Lube"? what is it and what do you guys think I can use instead? Thanks alot - Chad
chadboyle2000

Re: Buick lube?

Postby groundhog180 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi Chad,
By "power booster system" I assume you are describing the brake booster. By the way it's good to hear you are spending quality time on the B-58.

I'm looking at my 1959 manual(this one was handier to find) which describes the same as 1958 on this. In the section of "assembly of power brake unit" where the assembly of the power piston is ,they describe using "Dynaflow oil".

If we now go to section one(lubricare) on page 1-7 or 1-8 we find two types of transmission fluid that were used back in the day(1958). Special Buick oil,which may be what you are describing as "Buick lube" or a second option,Type A. For the present day I'm using Dexron 3 in my Dynaflow. Same also in the power steering pump. The lid on that says type A,which to my knowledge is unavailable.

But,the main point is there is no specification for applying Dynaflow oil to the power booster unless the whole thing was being rebuilt with new parts. The manual only says to check and maintain the brake fluid level.

Hope this helps if I understood your question correctly.......Lee
groundhog180

Return to Chassis