Headlight Switch

Wiring, power windows, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, autronic eye, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Headlight Switch

Postby Jim Special » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:44 am

How do you remove the headlight switch. I can't seem to find a way to gain access to the switch. There must be a "trick" to get it out. The car is a Special with factory air.

Jim Richards
Jim Special

Postby 58limited » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:36 pm

From the shop manual:

Disconnect battery.

Pull the switch knob out to last notch, then depress the spring loaded latch button on switch body (reach up under the dash) while pulling the knob and rod out of switch. Do not depress the spring loaded button before pulling knob to last notch or it will not release.

Remove switch mounting nut and remove switch and escutcheon from instrument panel.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Escutcheon removal

Postby RoadMaster75 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Ok...

once the knob and nut are removed, how does the escutcheon come off?
Does it just slip fit or does it screw off...?

I need to remove my switch too, so I can figure out why the instrument
lights won't work.

Regards
Mike

"RoadMaster75"
RoadMaster75

Postby 58limited » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Honestly, I was just copying the shop manual. There is no illustration and I don't know what the escutcheon is.

My camera is broken, so I cannot post a pic, but I'm holding the light and heater control panel from a Super in my hands.

I pull the headlight switch knob as far as it can go, press the spring button and it comes out.

Then, I get a long flat blade screw driver and stick it into the hole where the switch knob came out and use it to unscrew the retaining nut - it is flat with a slot in it.

When the retaining nut is loose, the headlight switch body can be removed from under the dash. The large chrome instrument bezel that says "< BRIGHTER" simply pops off the dash at this point. The retaining nut holds it in place along with the switch body.

My shop manual says the switch itself cannot be dissasembled for service, it will need replacing if it is not working. Although, a good cleaning may be all it needs.

Often, if the instrument lights don't work it is the brightness control. This looks like a coiled wire arranged in a semicircle around the hole the knob shaft passes through at the front of the switch body. It is mounted in a ceramic piece. There is a triangular metel tab that passes over this wire as you turn the headlight knob to the left or right to adjust the instrument panel light brightness. The metal tab or spring can be dirty/corroded. Also, there are two metal buttons that the tab can engage - one turns interior lights on. Clean them too. On the back of the ceramic piece, there is an electrical connection that is simply two pieces of metal resting against each other with a little spring tension. Check to make sure that they are making contact and are not bent or dirty.
Last edited by 58limited on Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Postby RoadMaster75 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:24 pm

Wow! Thanks...that's very helpful.....

Will proceed with the fix!

Mike