Rebuild parts

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, and other items related to the powertrain, except transmissions. Transmissions can be discussed in the Transmissions forum.

Rebuild parts

Postby victoslik » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:55 pm

Hello all,

Looking for info on engine kits for my '58 Super 364. I had 3 seriously stuck pistons. Took a big hammer and several hardwood dowels to get it apart. The block is at the machine shop now being roughed in to clean up the bores. My question is, considering the limited options for various stages of rebuild kits and parts, can anybody make recommendations on who to go to for an engine kit and who to avoid? I hope to reuse my crank and rods, new oversize pistons of course and new cam. I hope freshen up the heads and re-use them. Has anybody had any experience having any port and polish work done on "nailhead" heads. If I am understanding correctly the exhaust side is the bottle neck on these old motors. Or is this just a bad idea? Seems over the years I've read about people trying to get a little more performance out of early naiheads and actually losing ground by going to bigger cams, tri power or dual quad set ups etc. I know this car will never killer 1/4 miler and that for there day and category they were pretty impressive from the factory. Dependability is #1 priority but if I can get a little extra performance without going to ridiculous lengths and expense why not?

Any experienced feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Victor Slick
victoslik

Return to Engine and Drive Train