Engine Noise

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, and other items related to the powertrain, except transmissions. Transmissions can be discussed in the Transmissions forum.

Engine Noise

Postby Air Poise » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:36 am

I have two 58 Limiteds one of which I drive often. I've had this Riviera sedan for over ten years and after everything I've tried, engine vibrations upon acceleration from a stop are very loud. Both LImiteds have this problem but the closed-cabin model 750 is by far worse. After adding heavy insulation to the interior, adding new rubber body mounts doubled in thickness, and new engine/Flight-Pitch mounts nothing helps. I have redesigned the exhaust system, after six different attempts, to locate all mufflers behind the rear axle. Now I've reached the point of needing to have the 364 rebuilt due to oil consumption. The most interesting challenge here is that I have driven a 58 Limited 750 in Texas that did not suffer this noisy problem. No one, thus far, seems to know the answer of how to silence this transfer of vibration from the engine into the interior. As I study the service bulletins for the 58 Buicks I learn these cars were plagued with noise complaints. In 1962, Buick moved the placement of the nailhead engines forward on the frame to help quieten them. In addition, the engineering of the Buick Torque-Tube system may contribute to this noisy problem as these cars are pushed through the engine mounts.

If anyone has any insight or experience in solving this noise issue, I would be most appreciative.

Tom Helms
Air Poise
Pensacola, FL
Air Poise

Re: Engine Noise

Postby HotRod58er » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:01 pm

I would ask Frank Lyles in Colorado Springs. He knows more about 58 Buicks then anyone I know. The other place you can go is to the Nailhead Buick yahoo group which I am a member and see what they have to say. My 59 Buick never had that issue and its close to 90,000 miles! I get valve knock but thats it. Mabe it could be the timing is off just a bit and when you give it gas the vacume cant catch up fast enough/leaky vacume line? My 59 I have neutral bombed it several times and it never vibrated like that. All it has done is (mine a 364 motor also) is give a vibration around 600 to 700 rpm (manual shift idle) when it is cold besides that rodding it or cruisin its fine.
Reverance for the past-ensures the future

Cars
1997 Buick Riviera (yes its supercharged)
1959 Buick LeSabre 4 door sedan (45,000 original miles)
HotRod58er

Re: Engine Noise

Postby HotRod58er » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:12 am

There is another possability. If one of your u joints are bad it can vibrate and cause the car to shake. I have had that happen before and it is VERY loud! In fact I have 2 NOS u joints becuase I thought mine was going out on my 59 but it ended up the brake assembly FELL APART in the passenger rear drum after spending $1,500 for new brakes, tires, and bearings!!! OWCH! Never going there again! So if you find out you need one I can sell them for $35 each that is how much I paid for them from CARS. Never opened. I think they are the smaller ones. They had 2 sizes for the driveshaft I heard and the one in the rear I think is the smaller one.
Reverance for the past-ensures the future

Cars
1997 Buick Riviera (yes its supercharged)
1959 Buick LeSabre 4 door sedan (45,000 original miles)
HotRod58er

Return to Engine and Drive Train