My Limited Four Door Project

Post pictures and details of your current '58 Buick project here.

Re: My Limited Four Door Project

Postby 58limited » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Wow! That looks great. Almost makes one afraid to actually start it up and risk getting it dirty.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Postby Smartin » Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 pm

I haven't had much time to work on the car lately...those 60+ hour weeks are not conducive to progress here. Over the last couple days, I've done a few things...

I pulled out the chrome dash control cluster to see if it would clean up without having a rechrome. I believe I succeeded. This piece looks good enough without $$$ in rechroming. I had to disassemble those parts with the plastic inserts so I could clean up and polish the plastic. There was a lot of dust and old chrome polish in the cracks of these dealies. Same story with the A/C control.

I've had the gas tank sitting in the back of my Yukon for 2 weeks in an attempt to get it to the blaster, and finally got it there on Saturday. I picked it back up this afternoon and cleaned it out, and mounted it. Turned out nice. Pictures don't do it justice.

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:47 pm

The exhaust system came on Thursday. I bolted up the head pipes and mufflers and cobbled up some wiring to try and start it.

Literally as soon as the fuel hit the filter, it fired up and idled like a dream. Of course, there is some timing and carb adjustment issues, but I couldn't let it run for more than 10 seconds or so. Shot a quick video, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrtiESd9Mk8

I really needed to know if the engine would run before I started assembling everything else around it, just in case something went terribly wrong.
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby bhclark » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Great to hear.

Let us know how that Kepich system fits.....I'm going to need a few soon. :(
Brian Clark
'58 Super 2 dr Riviera(SNOW WHITE)
'59 Invicta 4 dr ht (LUCILLE)
'65 Wildcat Convertible (ROXANNE)
'96 Roadmaster Estate Wagon (LIZZIE)
BCA #41596, DWD #3
bhclark

Postby Smartin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:02 am

So far, the Kepich system has bolted right in. I am in search of the rear hangers, since I seem to have misplaced the old ones. They aren't generic, either.

I have the head pipes and mufflers bolted in, and the tailpipes loosely fit into place. I don't have enough hands to hold the stuff there while I tighten bolts, so I'll be waiting to install the rest of it.
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby dvonk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:40 am

kickass. awesome to see the old Nailhead come to life once again! 8)
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:01 pm

I tackled the booster/master cylinder today. All went well. Interesting series of seals and other "stuff" on that beastie!

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 pm

I finally cleaned up all the AC lines and mufflers and that big ugly valve on top of the compressor today.

The radiator is being recored in the next week or so, and I found that the heater core I got out of the parts car Super I bought is basically new...so that was nice to know.

I installed the parking brake pedal assembly...although it seems that I can't get the pedal to come back up all the way by itself when I release it. I played with the brake adjustments and the spring at the rear end, but eventually gave up on it to look at it another day. I don't need it right now, anyway :roll:

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Heater box is installed...with a shiny new heater core.

Shiny new radiator ready for install! I got the core support blasted today. It was a mess. I have a little bit of metal work to do at the bottom of it, but it's not a real important area.

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:27 pm

I decided to try to resurrect the splash pan from the dead this evening...I think I succeeded. Tomorrow is the bottom mounting area of the core support. I just want to get the radiator mounted so I can get the car started!!

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 pm

I had all this stuff done before the weekend started, but ran out of time to update.

Here is the finished splash pan. I thought about smoothing the pits out, but it's a freakin splash pan, and it will never be seen. I have enough time in reconstructing it, anyway. Good enough!

Here is the finished core support...the bottom flange with the 3 holes is where the splash pan mounts, so it was almost completely gone... that was a fun fix.

I'm currently working on the other side of the front wheel house. I repaired the other one almost 3 years ago:laugh: but left this one for a later time...I have the triangle part welded in, but had to walk away from it when I got to the contoured part. I'll hit it again sometime in the near future...I have a 2-day golf tournament out of town this weekend, so no more progress for a couple weeks.

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:31 pm

I started it up again, this time with coolant and all the other necessary fluids to run it for an extended period so I could tune it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBkTKWTXFwk
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:29 pm

No need for the heater today...it was nearly 60 degrees outside!

I started stripping the body shell this week, and today was able to get the majority of the passenger side done. I have some spots to touch up, but this is good enough to move on to the top tomorrow.

I realized that I never posted the underside of the car before it was put back on the chassis...so, here ya go.

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby dvonk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 pm

this is going to be a b-e-a-utiful Buick when you are done! 8)
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 pm

The body shell is stripped and nearly ready for primer. Some small corners and edges I'll need to do by hand. Then seam sealer and primer!

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Member Projects