New Registration rules - EDITED

Place your messages for parts or cars wanted in this forum. If you have something to sell, you may want to see if someone is already looking for it here. If you find what you needed, please post a reply to the original message that you got it. All posts over 90 days old will be deleted.

New Registration rules - EDITED

Postby 58limited » Sat May 30, 2009 12:30 pm

The spammers are still able to get through the security measures so I have shut down registrations for now. Please e-mail me if you would like to join: limited58 at gt.rr.com

Replace "at" with @

There is a patch for this but I don't have the time to install it right now.

Apparently the spammers have figured out how to bypass the security measures. We had two hundred spammers join the forum. I had to delete each one manually - the software doesn't allow mass deletings. I have tightened the security settings and will now approve every new applicant instead of letting the system automatically approve everyone. Since 90% of the spam memberships that I just deleted all used the same email providers, all applicants with a gmail.com, *.biz, *.info, or *.ru email address will be automatically denied, as will applicants with gibberish usernames. Please choose a username that actually makes a real word or name. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this might cause legitimate new applicants.

Deleting all of these spam members was monotonous and took nearly 2 hours. I apologize if I accidentally deleted a regular member. If I did, please rejoin.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Re: New Registration rules

Postby Smartin » Sat May 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I feel your pain!

I am an administrator at www.buickperformancegroup.com/forums and www.buickcenturion.com/forums and I have had to switch on the "Moderate all new registrations" feature on both boards. On the BPG site, we were getting something around 30-50 new users a day, with 95% of them spammers. We had tried all the usual stuff like automatically turning down all email addresses with .ru, etc extensions...but they kept coming.

I recently found a feature in the software (vbulletin) that allows me to set up a registration question...something that all those folks actually interested in registering for the sake of Buicks will know the answer to. After I did that, the new registrations dropped off to almost nothing. I was a great day!
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Re: New Registration rules

Postby 58limited » Sun May 31, 2009 11:32 am

New registrations are temporarily deactivated until i can install a patch that allows for a registration screening question similar to what Adam mentioned above. I got 35 spam registrations yesterday that I had to deny. Sorry for the inconvenience.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Re: New Registration rules - EDITED

Postby 58limited » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Read this post for updated registration information:

http://www.1958buickforum.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=843